Monday, November 9, 2009

Who says you need alcohol when sugar's around???

So my DH turned old recently.
As usual, I made him a special dinner. Usually this is just our family that enjoys dinner and cake, but this year we opened it up to my darling nieces (and their parents cuz we were being generous that day wink wink) anyway, the reason this is such a private affair is, well the last few years have been spent away, and usually it's a really special meal, and we are kinda homebodies and the list goes on. We usually get kids down early and crack a bottle of wine and enjoy ourselves. Its better than having to go to a restaurant and spend your b-day
with a room full of total strangers! THis is all in the comfort of our own house. I can get silly
after a glass, I can start losing clothes, as is often prone to happening with good food, good wine and just my baby and I.
Well, I'm getting off subject. Back to the story at hand. I cooked a good part of the day (yet another reason this is a private affair). Therefore, I forgot to start with the wine. By the time I got around to it, I was too tired and thought I should stay away from alcohol lest I should like to fall asleep at the table. So I abstained. I got dinner on, and it was gone without a hitch. If anyone left THAT table hungry, ITS THEIR OWN DANGED FAULT! We had Chicken Saltimbocca (baked! Recipe to come) and we had it's vegetarian counterpart (which will also be posted soon) we had yummy spaghetti with smoked gouda and peas and prociutto. It was a REALLY yummy dinner. It should have been done at that. But it's a birthday and they don't call those monstrous pastrys birthday cakes for nothing. So we had cake. Now I cheated on the cake, mainly because I'm learning to set boundaries for myself in my old age (my DH should be wiping tears of pride from his eyes! ) so I went to Sams and got a huge ol 7pound 3 ounce cake. I kid you not that was the weight listed on the box! So we had to pull it out.
So here is picture perfect proof that one does not need alcohol where a sugar high can be
accomplished!

This is my lovely Lily, who informed us that cream cheese frosting felt good on your lips, kinda soothing like Carmex but better cuz it tasted better.


While this is funny, it's funnier that she actually convinced some of us to try it as is evidenced here.....








Oh but
why stop at the kids, yours truly
needs a little of the limelight...
There you have it, proof positive that a sugar high can be as much fun if not more than an a buzz. Sure you go on a roller coaster then crash at the end. Sure you might get sick if you overindulge! But the only kind of hangover you will have to endure the next day is the sweet hangover of regret when thinking back to how many calories were consumed the night before in the quest for said sugar high!
Now where's that cake at anyway?

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Hmmm....well I have definitely done things in my life. My favorite of all is being mommy and wife. I am very content in the skin I am in but it took 30 years to get there!