Tuesday, October 28, 2008

I made the best dinner!

I love Cafe Rio! Whenever we go back to Utah, that is on the list of things to do, places to eat! I am expecially in love with their Creamy Tomatillo Dressing. So I got an idea...one google search and various blog sails later I arrived at this point of full tummy zen!!!!
So I thought I'd share!
Dinner menu tonight-
Chicken Tacos
Black Beans
Rice
Chicken Tacos......I was going for a Chili's inspiration, and wanted easy crock pot cookin, well lets just say mine were much better than anything I've eaten at Chili's!
4 or so chicken breasts
1 can tomatoes or Rotel
1/4 c salsa verde if your not using Rotel
1 packet of Taco Seasoning
1 can chicken broth or tomato sauce
2-3 cloves of garlic
Salt and Pepper
Throw it all in, mix it up, put the lid on and cook 4-6 hours on low.
When your ready to put your tacos together, I grilled my tortillas in oil to crispy them, added sharp cheddar and the chicken mix. THATS ALL!!!!

Tomatillo Dressing
2 or so cloves of garlic minced
1-2 tomatillos or 2T salsa verde if no tomatillos on hand
1/2 bunch of cilantro
1c mayo
1c butter milk (or half milk half sour cream)
1 packet ranch dressing
Juice from one lime
Throw it all in a blender and blend....easy huh?

Cilantro Lime Rice
2c uncooked rice
4c chicken broth or 3c broth 1c water
2-3 garlic cloves minced
juice from one lime
1t butter
Tomatillo dressing
Add all ingredients but dressing to a saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer till rice is done. Add dressing to desired consistency and call it good.
This was an ok, but I may have to do some tweaking on it, I'll let you know.

Cafe Rio Black Beans
Olive Oil
Garlic 2-3 cloves
cumin
salt
2 cans black beans rinsed and drained
1 can tomato juice or half a can tomato sauce and the same amt water
2T chopped cilantro (see a pattern! I used the entire bunch of cilantro on this dinner! Which is good because usually it goes bad in the fridge. Plus Sean hates cilantro, but told me this was definitely a do again!)

Heat oil in saucepan, add garlic, about 1t or so of cumin, and salt. Saute til fragrant. Add black beans, and tomato juice. The longer you can let this cook, the better the flavor cuz you can cook the liquid down. Add the cilantro at the end. Add salt if needed but ONLY after you've added your cilantro and are sure you now need salt!

So to give credit where due, I adapted these recipes from http://www.pinchingyourpennies.com/forums/showthread.php?p=569596

gotta be fair right?
Anyway, hope you enjoy as much as we did!
Loves!

1 comment:

mandy said...

You have done such a good job on your blog! I am sooo proud of you! Now could ya get off a facebook and keep it this updated please! I need pics of TT!

About Me

My photo
Hmmm....well I have definitely done things in my life. My favorite of all is being mommy and wife. I am very content in the skin I am in but it took 30 years to get there!